Emerald is one of the rarest and most precious stones of all gemstones. While commercial grade emeralds are quite abundant, good and extra emerald good quality is very, very, rare. For the purpose of the following table illustration shows the range of retail prices that can be typical for 1 carat emerald (price for comparison only, the right price varies according to market demand).
- Emerald is assessed using four basic 4C parameters from Connoisseurship: Color, Cutting, Crystal Clarity; crystals are only used as synonyms starting with C for transparency or what gemologists call diaphaneity. Before the 20th century, jewelry used the term water like "a gem of the best water" to reveal a combination of two qualities, colors and crystals. Usually, in the assessment of colored gemstones, color is by far the most important criterion. However, in the class / level of emeralds are crystals considered the second in the assessment of the quality of emeralds. An Emerald not only assesses on pure green hue, but also judges based on a high degree of transparency / clarity on the stone.
Class Low to High Quality Retail Price for 1 Carat Emerald.
• Commercial $ 30.00 for $ 525.00
• Both $ 525.00 to $ 1,125.00
• Smooth $ 1,125.00 to $ 2,900.00
• Extra Fine $ 2,900.00 to 9,800.00
Similar to other gemstones, large emeralds are far less frequent than smaller ones. Thus, large emerald orders are priced much higher. For example, while one carat (1.0 ct.) Emerald quality can either sell for somewhere between $ 525 and $ 1125, five carats (5.0 ct.) The same quality emeralds can be sold between $ 7,500 and $ 15,000 (the price is only for comparison, the right price varies according to market demand).
Class Low to High Quality Retail Price for 5.0 Carat Stone
• $ 300 to $ 7,500 commercial
• Good $ 7,500 to $ 15,000
• Smooth $ 15,000 to $ 32,500
• Extra Fine $ 32,500 for $ 95,500
The effect of oiling or Opticon use on the price of emerald depends on the quality. For the majority of the quality of emeralds sold in jewelry, the effect on prices is ignored. However, for good for extra fine emeralds, non-oiled gemstones can command from 30% to 60% higher.
Rich green emerald holds the promise of new life in spring. How appropriate that must also be considered in the May birthstone.